Posted on October 20, 2011 by Sam & Claire Reynolds
Hello again, we have just arrived back from a fun time in Uganda! which was a wonderful mix of adventure, relaxation and meeting friends. We stayed in a friend’s house for the last week, spending time with their family, and now feel more than refreshed and ready to finish the final preparations for Brazil. We got the go ahead from the pastor in Brazil back in August but have received no communication while abroad, so once again I need to move into harassment mode until we find out whether or not he is moving ahead with his side of the bargain ;o)
Highlights of Uganda:
- Sam doing a crazy bungee jump into the Nile (what he thought would be a manly whoop of exhilaration quickly turned into a scream of terror)
- Seeing a friend of Claire’s, who has been struggling with poverty for a long time, get in touch with Five Talents (a small loans company) and get full backing, training and support for the jewellery project she has started. Claire is helping her with business cards but she is seriously creative and already more business-minded than both of us!
- Sam stick-fighting the grown-up children of Claire’s ‘Ugandan mum’ and passing through many initiation rites to prove himself worthy of Claire (which he did want to remind them was slightly too late!)
- Seeing leopards on safari
- Wangling free entry into some ridiculously beautiful luxury resorts to use their swimming pools!
- Visiting the school and project that Claire helped to set up and support 7 years ago. Unfortunately this also meant attempting the local dance in front of 500 kids which was not Sam´s finest moment.
- Climbing a volcano with some unbelievably slippery vertical stick ladders, and we made it to the top – standing on the border of Uganda/Congo/Rwanda.
So we’ve had a lot of fun and really enjoyed our holiday and time together, and now are excited about the next few months, as we´ll be translating Metro Ministries (kids club) curriculum; organising a workshop about prostitution; running a domestic abuse awareness programme with young people; speaking at a couple of churches; setting up a blog; fundraising…etc.
From Sam & Claire